Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

French bakery & patisserie @ Tiong Bahru Bakery

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that Tiong Bahru Bakery (TBB) was an old-school bakery like our friendly neighbourhood bakery Swee Heng when I first heard of TBB. Soft and buttery buns' aroma floated to my nostrils and the images of old-school sugary doughnuts immediately appeared in my mind when I picture the 'old school' name with bakery. Boy, was I wrong or was I wrong man?!?! Well, after some good reviews from die-hard fans of TBB, it was quite a coincidence that we chanced upon the bakery when we were walking around Raffles City Shopping Centre one Saturday afternoon.



Although I'm pretty sure all the bread and pastries are awesome in TBB, but curiosity got the better of me when I saw the black bun sitting among his pretty friends and despite my partner's raised eyebrow and a doubtful 'Really?', I went ahead and ordered the sandwich, together with a mini croissant and a huge strawberry croissant. Not forgetting our much-needed coffee.







Squid Ink Sandwich ($8.50)

In all honesty, there wasn't much of the squid ink taste in the buns. However, I do like the slightly chewy texture of the buns and it went very well together with the salty smoked salmon and ham and the fresh burst of wild rocket taste when you take a generous bite.





Lemon Curd tart ($6.00 ish)

The sweet and zesty custard really hit the spot... for a few seconds and then the sweetness just lingered and refused to go away! I would have preferred the curd to be less sweet a teeny bit and less of the tart. I was recommended to try Lemon Curd tart at this other cafe and I shall check it out soon.

TBB is definitely a place to be and be seen. Noticed a lot of hipsters hang out at the cafe, taking pictures (to instagram) and also a lot of families having brunch with their little kids, who by the way, are real lucky to have fond memories of TBB as the placed they grow up with. The prices are not exactly cheap, but reasonable for the quality and location they are in.

This place is so not old school and yet so hip with quality bakery and pastries. It's definitely a place I want to go back to and try all the pastries.

Tiong Bahru Bakery by Gontran Cherrier
56 Eng Hoon St, #01-70
S160056

252 North Bridge Road, #B1-11/12
Raffles City
S 179103

Tiong Bahru Bakery Website
Tiong Bahru Bakery FB Page

No comments:

Post a Comment