Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top 5 Cupcakes you have to try in Singapore






Pretty cupcakes are very instagram-worthy. But are they calories-worthy too? I will give a big fat 'YES' because I love the combination of the fluffiness and the moist richness that send me straight to cloud nine!

So here's my mini guide on the top 5 cupcakes that you have to try before we say byebye to 2013.









Fluff Bakery

If you haven't heard about Fluff, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! It has gained over 19,687 (and counting) followers on their Instagram (@fluffbakery) and their delicious cupcakes are wiped clean every single day ever since the opening of their humble brick-and-mortar shop at Jalan Pisang. Each cupcake is fluffy and moist and I love Syairah's quirky and creative creations that turned a simple cupcake to culinary art. I'm most impressed with their Maple Custard cupcake with chocolatey beef bacon! The subtle bitterness of the beef bacon was perfect with the sweet cake and maple filling.

What I really like about Fluff's cupcakes is that the combination of the sweetness is just right, not overly sweet to make you cringe all over. Nutella red velvet cupcake is a hot favourite and also a regular item, so be sure to try that if you pop by Fluff. Do follow them on their instagram to get the latest update and to avoid disappointment!

Fluff Bakery
12 Jalan Pisang
Wednesday to Sundays, 12pm til all bakes sell out

Fluff Bakery's Facebook Instagram





Swirls Bake Shop

I was told that their rendition of red velvet cupcakes is almost the same as the famous Hummingbird Bakery's. Although I have never tried Hummingbird's, I fell in love with Swirls' moist and chocolatey red velvet cupcake the first time I sank my teeth into it. Although the cream cheese was overly sweet and slightly hardened, I really love the dense and fluffy cake and their creative bakes.

The price of each cupcake is at $4.25 but the portion of each cuppie is huge! You may also get the tiny ones at $2.80 each if you want to try more flavours without feeling the pinch (around the waist). The only downside would be the inaccessible location but they do have pop-ups at Orchard Central sometimes, which makes getting my hands on the cuppies a lot easier!

Swirls Bake Shop
8 Rodyk Street #01-08 Singapore 238216

Opening hours:
Daily 11am - 7pm

Swirls' Website Facebook Instagram




Plain Vanilla Bakery 

The climb up the stairs to get my hands on the cupcakes at the Holland Village branch was worth it! I tried their chocolate-based and vanilla-based cupcake and I must say that for just $3.50 a piece, it's one of the more affordable cupcakes! The cake is moist and dense, especially their signature red velvet cupcake with the right amount of chocolatey flavour. However, I find the frosting a tad too sweet for my liking. 

I like the subtle white chocolate taste in the Strawberry White Chocolate cupcake, and the fresh strawberry fruits added a burst of freshness to the otherwise denseness from the vanilla-based cake.

For it's pocket friendly price tag, I would definitely not mind coming back for more. They collaborate with Soon Lee often for pop-up bakes as well, do subscribe to Soon Lee's newsletter for updates!


Plain Vanilla Bakery
Holland Village (right next to Strip)

Opening hours: Tues to Sat 12pm - 8pm, Sun 12pm - 6pm. 
Closed on Mondays.

1D Yong Siak Street, Tiong Bahru Estate
Singapore 168641

Plain Vanilla's Website  Facebook Instagram





Spatula Bakery

If I were to give out the "Most Creative Names for Cupcakes"award, the winner would be Spatula Bakery! I love how they name each cupcake like their own and in the same first alphabet of the flavour - "Rocking Red Velvet", "Lucky Lychee Rose", "Melodramatic Mint", "Affable Apple Crumble" just to name a few. I love their baked goods so much, i went on to order a rainbow cake for a colleague's birthday and it was spatacular! Soft and dense cake that melts in your mouth without you reaching for a glass of water - perfect!

If you don't stay in the East, you can also pop by Ogopogo Cafe located at 73 Bussorah Street for their cupcakes, cake-in-a-jar specials and awesome Toby Estate's coffee.

Spatula Bakery
216 Joo Chiat Road #01-06
Singapore 427483

Opening hours:
Daily 12PM - 7PM, Closed on Wednesdays
Thursdays (by appointment only)

Tel: 64447243

Spatula's Website Facebook Instagram




pic credits to fathiscakes


Fathi's Cakes

I first tried Fathi's Cakes' Rose Red Velvet cake at Maison Ikkoku Cafe and I love the dense and moist yet fluffy cake with smooth cream cheese frosting. What I like about the cakes at Fathiscakes is that they are not overly sweet, which made it even more addictive to get every single crumb into my belly.

The cupcakes are availabe for order in a box of 12 at $33 - $38 via their website, or you may visit Maison Ikkoku Cafe for their delicious baked goods (almost) every day.

Good news for avid bakers! Fathi's Cakes holds baking classes as well, and I can't wait to set aside some time to attend the class next year. #masterchefinmaking

Fathi's Cakes

Fathi's Cakes Website Facebook Instagram


I hope you guys find this guide useful on the cupcakes that I have tried and like in our tiny (and growing) island. Here's to a brand new year ahead of us, may all of us have good food and cuppies in our belly always and that we will stay slim forever. :D

HAPPY 2014, FOODIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment